Mini Cinnamon Apple Fritters
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free
Recipe by Back Porch Paleo
- ¾ cup Otto’s Naturals – Cassava Flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and diced into approximately ¼” – ½” cubes
- Avocado oil for frying
- Maple Cinnamon Sugar (toss together to combine): ¼ cup maple sugar and ¾ teaspoon Ceylon Cinnamon
- Begin warming avocado oil in pan of choice on stove top. You’ll need a good 2-3″ of oil, so depending on your pan, the amount of oil will vary. The sweet spot for frying these fritters is around 340-350 degrees Fahrenheit (any warmer and they will burn on the outside before the insides gets done).
- In a medium bowl, mix Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together, whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk eggs with vanilla until well combined, pour into flour mixture along with the coconut milk, butter and maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- Toss in apples and stir until well incorporated.
- Check oil temp and/or use a small amount of batter as a tester to see if oil is ready to go. Drop by scant tablespoons into hot oil. Fry three at a time, otherwise the oil temp may drop too low. Let them fry on one side until golden brown and then flip over and let the other side brown up. NOTE: you will be tempted to make these bigger, but just know that you’ll run the risk of a very gooey center if you make them too large!
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle maple cinnamon sugar on fritters and enjoy with your favorite caramel sauce as a drizzle or even a total dunk.