Mini Cinnamon Apple Fritters
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free
Recipe by Back Porch Paleo
Whoever said that everything is better deep fried was clearly someone who had tapped into the deeper truths of the universe. Fritters are basically bite-sized chunks of fried donut batter that somehow manage to be unique from, and some would say better than, their full-donut cousins. This recipe can be changed up to suit your taste buds - leave out the apples and cinnamon and try drizzling with chocolate for example! This gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free recipe makes about 30-36 mini fritters so there will be plenty to enjoy!
- ¾ cup Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and diced into approximately ¼” – ½” cubes
- Avocado oil for frying
- Maple Cinnamon Sugar (toss together to combine): ¼ cup maple sugar and ¾ teaspoon Ceylon Cinnamon
- Begin warming avocado oil in pan of choice on stove top. You’ll need a good 2-3″ of oil, so depending on your pan, the amount of oil will vary. The sweet spot for frying these fritters is around 340-350 degrees Fahrenheit (any warmer and they will burn on the outside before the insides gets done).
- In a medium bowl, mix Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together, whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk eggs with vanilla until well combined, pour into flour mixture along with the coconut milk, butter and maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- Toss in apples and stir until well incorporated.
- Check oil temp and/or use a small amount of batter as a tester to see if oil is ready to go. Drop by scant tablespoons into hot oil. Fry three at a time, otherwise the oil temp may drop too low. Let them fry on one side until golden brown and then flip over and let the other side brown up. NOTE: you will be tempted to make these bigger, but just know that you’ll run the risk of a very gooey center if you make them too large!
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle maple cinnamon sugar on fritters and enjoy with your favorite caramel sauce as a drizzle or even a total dunk.