Gluten-Free Lemon Bars Recipe
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free
Recipe & photo credit: Simone Miller @zenbelly
On their own, eggs, butter, lemon, and honey are all great things. But put them together though and something truly epic happens. The result is a flavor combo that feels like sunshine. These paleo and nut-free lemon bars are so easy to make and are a guaranteed showstopper for any special occasion like...you know...Tuesday. Try this one out asap!
- 1 cup / 140 grams Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour (if not weighing, whisk your flour before scooping)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (make sure to zest before juicing)
- 6 tablespoons butter (or cold ghee or palm shortening)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg white (reserve the yolk for the filling)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 whole eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice (or lime, or a combo)
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (make sure to zest before juicing)
- 3 tablespoons Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an 8” x 8” baking dish. Line with parchment paper and then grease the parchment.
- In the bowl of your food processor, pulse the Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour, lemon zest and sea salt a couple of times to mix.
- Add the butter and pulse 8-10 times, or until the mixture is the texture of coarse crumbs.
- Add the honey and egg white and turn it on for a few seconds, so the mixture just starts to come together. Scrape down the sides and turn on again, until the mixture comes together into a ball. (Alternately, if you don’t have a food processor, you can cut in the butter with a pastry cutter and mix in the remaining ingredients by hand.)
- Press the dough into the prepared pan, bringing the sides up about an inch.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until it’s just dry to the touch.
- Meanwhile make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together the filling ingredients.
- Make sure the filling is well blended, and then pour the filling into the war par-baked crust. Return to the oven for 20-25 minutes, until just set.
- Allow to cool completely before using the parchment to pull it out of the pan. Cut as desired and dust with powdered sugar, if using.