Gluten-Free Molasses Cookies
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cups organic non-hydrogenated palm shortening
- ¼ cup organic black strap molasses
- 1 tablespoon beef gelatin
- 240 grams (or 2 cups) Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour (if not using a scale, fluff with a whisk before scooping. Use ¼ cup to scoop, re-fluffing the flour every 2 scoops)
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice (or sub cinnamon and ginger for #aip)
- ½ teaspoon ground clove
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- a few tablespoons maple syrup to roll dough balls in
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix coconut sugar, maple syrup, shortening and molasses together until well combined. Dump in dry ingredients, stirring ingredients together lightly. Finish with hand mixer until dough is well combined.
Using a cookie scoop, or your hands, roll dough lightly into walnut-sized balls, then generously coat each ball with maple sugar. Place balls on a baking sheet and bake for 9 to 11 minutes, depending on if you prefer soft in the middle cookies, or more of a “snap.” When cookies are done baking gently press them down with the bottom of a glass to flatten, if desired. If you don’t press them down they will stay soft little round pillows. Up to you!
Remove cookies from baking sheet and allow to cool on a wire rack…though these are amazing while still warm too.