prep time:15 minutes
cook time: 35-40 minutes
yield: 12 lemon bars (about 1.5x2.5 inches each)
for the crust:
1 cup / 140 grams Otto’s Naturals cassava flour (if not weighing, whisk your flour before scooping)
1 teaspoon lemon zest (make sure to zest before juicing!)
6 tablespoons butter (or cold ghee or palm shortening)
3 tablespoons honey
1 egg white (reserve the yolk for the filling)
¼ teaspoon sea salt
for the filling:
1 egg yolk
4 whole eggs
½ cup lemon juice (or lime, or a combo)
1 cup honey
1 tablespoon lemon zest (make sure to zest before juicing!)
3 tablespoons Otto’s Naturals cassava flour
powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325ºF and grease an 8x8 baking dish. Line with parchment paper and then grease the parchment. (see photos below)
2. In the bowl of your food processor, pulse the cassava flour, lemon zest, and sea salt a couple of times to mix.
3. Add the butter and pulse 8-10 times, or until the mixture is the texture of coarse crumbs.
4. Add the honey and egg white and turn it on for a few seconds, so the mixture just starts to come together. Scrape down the sides and turn on again, until the mixture comes together into a ball. (Alternately, if you don't have a food processor, you can cut in the butter with a pastry cutter and mix in the remaining ingredients by hand.)
5. Press the dough into the prepared pan, bringing the sides up about an inch.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until it’s just dry to the touch.
7. Meanwhile make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together the filling ingredients.
8. Make sure the filling is well blended, and then pour the filling into the warm par-baked crust. Return to the oven for 20-25 minutes, until just set.
9. Allow to cool completely before using the parchment to pull it out of the pan. Cut as desired and dust with powdered sugar, if using.