Crispy Grain-Free Soft-Shell Crab Recipe
Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Whole 30
We love crab but don't love the work that usually goes into extracting the meat from that hard, sharp shell. That’s why when soft-shell crab season comes around, we indulge. You can eat the whole crab, shell and all! We are always looking for new ways to make it, but fried is one of our favorites. Heck, anything fried is our favorite, lol. This recipe uses a fun technique to adhere the flour using whipped egg whites. It’s important to make the dipping sauce ahead of time to allow the ingredients time to meld together. So start there because the sauce really brightness the dish and brings it to another level!
Asian Style Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Aminos
- 3 tablespoons beef bone broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 to 3 Serrano chilies, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon light coconut sugar
- 1 large shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (garnish added to finished sauce right before serving)
The Crab - Ingredients
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 soft-shell crabs, cleaned and patted dry
- ½ cup Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil, for frying
- Combine the Sauce Ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Note: Can make ahead of time just don't add garnish till serve time.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil until 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Set a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy. Add the crabs and turn to coat. In another bowl, whisk the flour, white pepper, salt and cayenne.
- Combine Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour, white pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Dredge 2 or 3 of the crabs at a time in the flour mixture and add them to the hot oil. Fry over high heat, turning once, until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer the crabs to the rack.
Sauce Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Fridge Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Crab Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Looking for more delicious grain-free recipes? Check out our collection of savory grain-free and gluten-free recipes!