Gluten-Free Pot Pie
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free
Recipe by Zenbelly
For the Crust:
- 120 grams Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour (1 sifted cup)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3-4 tablespoons water
For the Filling:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup diced onion (about 1⁄2 medium)
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 ribs)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons cassava flour
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 3 cups diced roasted turkey (or chicken)
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 egg, beaten, for the egg wash*
Make the Crust:
1. Combine Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour, olive oil and sea salt in a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine thoroughly. Add 3 tablespoons of the water – it will thicken it up and make the dough drier. If it’s still on the wet side, add another 1⁄2 - 1 tablespoon of olive oil. It will be softer than you might be used to working with.
2. Lightly dust a sheet of parchment paper with Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour and place the ball of dough onto it, pressing down to make a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and roll out to about 11 inches across, or slightly larger than the pie pan you’ll be using.
3. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes – it will firm up, making it easier to place on top of the filing.
Make the Filling:1. Preheat Oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery and salt. Cook until softened but not browned, about 10-12 minutes. Stir occasionally and adjust the heat so the vegetables don’t brown. 3. Stir in the peas and push the vegetables to the outside of the pan. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour. Whisk to combine. Stir into the vegetables.
4. Add the broth and turn the heat up to high. Once boiling, cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the turkey and chives.
5. Pour the mixture into a 9-inch pie pan. Remove the crust from the fridge and turn so the parchment paper is facing up. Gently remove the parchment paper and discard. Using the plastic wrap, turn the crust onto the pie pan, gently peeling the plastic wrap away. Fold under any overhand and shape or crimp as desired. (It’s a delicate dough, so simple is best here). Brush with egg wash.
6. Cut a diamond in the center of the dough to allow the filing to vent.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is deep golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
8. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving, to allow the filling to firm up.
NOTE: If eggs are an issue, you may omit using the egg wash in this recipe.