Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Recipe (Egg-Free, Dairy-Free)
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Grain-Free
No dessert screams Celebrate! quite as joyfully as a cake. And no cake is quite as iconic as the classic chocolate layer cake. Especially when it’s covered in creamy swirls of made-from-scratch chocolate frosting. This one-bowl recipe for picture-perfect Chocolate Cake is not only simple to make—it’s totally vegan, gluten free, grain free, dairy free and nut free. And with no raw eggs in the batter to worry about, the tradition of licking the beaters might just count as a head start on cleaning up. Featuring fluffy Cassava Flour, heart-healthy avocado oil and antioxidant-rich cocoa powder, this cake has an ultra-moist and velvety crumb that pairs beautifully with our 4-ingredient Chocolate Frosting.
- 360 grams Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour (or 2⅓ cup unsifted, or 3 cups very well sifted)
- 2 cups granulated maple sugar or regular sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (sub carob for AIP)
- ¾ cup avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa together into a large bowl. Mix.
- Make three wells. Pour avocado oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla extract into third well.
- Pour cold water over all and stir well with a fork.
- Pour into a 9x14 baking pan or two 8" round pans. We have not found it necessary to grease the pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Frost with your favorite icing. Recipe for ours is below.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Frosting Recipe
Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Grain-FreeIngredients
- 1 cup organic, non-hydrogenated shortening
- ½ cup ghee or butter or vegan alternative
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Simply combine shortening, ghee, maple syrup and cocoa powder in a bowl and whip with a hand blender until light and fluffy.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Notes:
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 Minutes
Total Time: 40-50 Minutes