Gluten-Free & Grain-Free Molasses Cookie Recipe
Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free
One can never have enough gluten-free cookie recipes, right? Well, get ready to add this one to the recipe book - Soft Gluten-Free Molasses Cookies! These soft and delicious molasses cookies are simple to prep and make for any occasion. Spiced with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, they deliver the perfect amount of richness combined with a soft texture and just the right chew. Top them off with cane sugar for a slight crunch and opt for a dairy free option if you choose - these grain-free, gluten-free molasses cookies are sure to please!
Gluten-Free Molasses Cookie Ingredients
- ¾ cup butter*, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup organic unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 ¾ cup Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Gluten-Free Molasses Cookie Topping
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
Gluten-Free Molasses Cookie Recipe Instructions
Prep Time: 15 Minutes,then 2 hours in refrigerator
Cook Time: 10-11 Minutes
Total Time: 2.5 Hours
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- To a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar with a stand or hand mixer until creamed together and light brown in color, 2-3 minutes.
- Add molasses, egg + egg yolk, and vanilla extract and beat again until evenly combined.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients - Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and whisk together.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients, ½ cup at a time, mixing on low until just combined.
- Dough will be very sticky - move to fridge and chill for 2 hours (this will help make it easier to handle).
- After two hours, remove dough from fridge and roll into 1 ½” diameter balls, ~25 dough balls. Coat in cane sugar and spread dough balls 3 inches apart on baking tray.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes, when the tops should just be starting to crack. Let cool completely before handling. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
- To keep dairy free, you can substitute vegan butter (I tested with Earth Balance vegan butter baking sticks) and keep the recipe the same.
- Another dairy free option is to substitute organic Spectrum shortening - with this option, you do not need to chill the dough and should immediately bake at the same time/temperature.
(Makes approximately 25 cookies.)
If you liked this gluten-free molasses cookie recipe, be sure to check out more gluten-free sweets and treats recipes.