Grain-Free Pop Tarts
Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free
Pop tarts were a rite of passage for most of us, mingled with memories of running out the door to catch the bus and the nostalgic pull of colorful boxes plastered with cartoons. But as adults, those pre-packaged goodies taste underwhelming, overly sweet, and an extra serving of artificial colors and hard-to-pronounce preservatives. Enter: our fresh-from-your oven, golden brown and flaky, 100% grain free version! A tender crust featuring our premium, grain-free Cassava Flour envelopes your favorite filling—go with classic fruit jam or mix it up with chunky preserves, chocolate hazelnut spread, or nut butter studded with chocolate chips. And don’t forget the toppings! A drizzle of icing and a dash of all-natural sprinkles are the perfect way to complete the look of these treats. And yes, you can still bundle them up in pairs to share with your BFF.
Pastry Crust Ingredients
- 1 ¼ cup Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour
- 1 stick softened butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon ground flaxseed, mixed with 1 teaspoon water (let sit for one minute)
- 1 scoop collagen (optional)
- Jelly or filling of choice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Blend all pastry crust ingredients in a food processor to create the dough. Then divide the dough in half.
- Dust a cutting board with flour and roll out each half of the dough into a rectangle (each rolled out size should be approximately 12” x 8”). One half will be used for the top of the pastry and the other half for the bottom.
- Using a pizza cutter or paring knife, cut the dough into small rectangles (about 3” x 4”)
- Add a small scoop of jelly or filling of choice to one rectangle of dough and place another plain rectangle of top.
- Using fingertips or a fork, carefully press down around the edges of the pastry to seal the top and bottom of the pastry together.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes (Oven temperatures vary so keep an eye on them).
- Remove pop tarts from the oven, let cool and drizzle with glaze of choice
For a quick and simple glaze:
In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup of powdered sugar with 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to the powdered sugar and vanilla mixture in order to achieve desired consistency.
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 30 minutes