Cassava Flour Water Crackers (w/ Rosemary and Cracked Black Pepper)
These Rosemary & Black Pepper Grain-Free Water Crackers are crispy, buttery, and perfect for anything you want to top them with. Gluten-free, Grain-Free, and paleo friendly yet so delicious they'll please even the pickiest of eaters. Great as appetizers, party snacks or anytime you're looking for a little salty crunch!
- 2 ½ cups Otto’s Naturals - Cassava Flour
- ¾ cup butter or olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- In your food processor combine 2 1/2 cups Otto’s Naturals - Cassava Flour, 1/2 cup room temperature butter or oil, salt, water, rosemary, and black pepper. Process until a smooth dough is formed.*
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Roll out one portion on a parchment paper until 1/16 inch thick and keep the other dough portions in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cut into desired shapes using biscuit, cookie cutter, sharp knife or pizza cutter, leaving at least ¼ inch between crackers. Remove remaining scraps and combine with unrolled dough.
- Prick each cracker using a fork (to avoid puffing). Melt remaining ¼ cup butter (or use olive oil) and gently brush on crackers. If desired, lightly salt the tops of the crackers (we highly recommend this step!)
- Bake at 400 on a middle oven rack for 6-8 minutes or until lightly brown and crispy. (we suggest turning your rack halfway through baking)
- Transfer baked crackers to a cooling rack, they will get crispier as they cool.
- Continue with remaining dough.
*If the dough is too dry, add more water 1 teaspoon at a time. If it is too wet, add additional cassava flour 1 tablespoon at a time. Don’t worry, you cannot over work this dough!
NOTE: Crackers that are thinner will start to brown. Adjust cooking time according to the thickness and size of your crackers.
Fun Facts about black pepper and Rosemary
Sometimes the simplest foods contain the biggest surprises. Both Black Pepper and Rosemary contain properties traditionally considered beneficial to help improve memory and aid in digestion. Here are some interesting facts about black pepper and rosemary:
- Black pepper has been known as a healer in ancient Chinese medicine while Rosemary helps clear the brain. Thus, it helps heal your body by adding both black pepper and Rosemary to your food.
- Both are antioxidants and therefore are good for you.
- Black Pepper helps with digestion. It contains a compound called piperine that helps support brain, digestive and nervous health.
- Rosemary has many health benefits including improving digestion and helping with circulation; reduce cholesterol and blood pressure; fight the effects of aging; neutralize free radicals to protect against disease; promote healthy skin; helps freshen your breath!
And now, let's get cookin'!