French Lemon Tart Recipe
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free
Recipe by Zenbelly
Lemon tarts are the perfect “non-dessert” dessert. It’s like a slice of pie, but it’s light, bright, creamy, and mildly sweet so you hardly feel like you’ve indulged. This recipe is the perfect balance of indulgence and restraint. Plus, it’s free of gluten, grains and nuts. You’re gonna love this one!
Lemon Tart Recipe Ingredients
For the Crust:
- 140 grams Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour (approximately 1 cup)
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water
- Pinch salt
For the Filling:
- Zest of one lemon
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice (about 5-6 lemons)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut cream, from a chilled, unshaken can of full fat coconut milk
Lemon Tart Recipe Instructions
Make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour, avocado oil, water, salt and maple syrup.
- Mix to make a soft dough.
- Press into a 9-inch tart pan. Using a fork, poke holes all over the bottom of the crust. Chill in refrigerator at least one hour (optional but will make a sturdier crust)
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes
Make the Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs, sweetener, and coconut cream.
- Pour into the par-baked crust (still on baking sheet) and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until just set (the center should still jiggle a little bit and will firm up as it cools).
- Allow to cool completely before serving, about one hour.