Gluten-Free Gravy Recipe
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan, Egg-Free
Recipe by Back Porch Paleo
Whether you're talking about mashed potatoes (or cauliflower), stuffing, fresh biscuits, or slow-roasted turkey, a good homestyle gravy is what ties everything together and whisks us to the land of comfort food. This simple gluten and grain-free homestyle gravy recipe is a snap to prepare and the perfect staple recipe for all your down home meals.Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons grass fed butter, ghee or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons Otto’s Naturals – Cassava flour
- 2 cups bone broth or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon of complimentary herbs (for example, thyme for chicken or rosemary for beef)
- Dash of garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter (or ghee or avocado oil) - add flour and whisk to combine. This is a basic roux, the base of so many yummy sauces. Simmer roux slowly until color begins to darken, whisking occasionally. Typically, 4-5 minutes should do the trick, results may vary depending on your stove top, so keep an eye on it. You’re looking for a nice golden-brown color! The longer you let the roux brown, the deeper flavor you will have...but keep in mind that if your heat is too hot, you can actually end up burning the roux and you’ll have a very “burnt” flavored gravy.
- Once color is achieved, add bone broth (or vegetable broth) and whisk until well combined and velvety. Increase heat a little and continue whisking. Gravy will thicken as it simmers.
- When desired consistency is achieved add the salt, accompanying herbs, garlic powder and pepper. Taste and adjust flavors as desired.