You will like these Berry Bars berry much! There is nothing better on a summer afternoon than biting into the crispy yet soft texture of a Grain-Free Berry Crumble Bar. Chock full of delicious summer berries sandwiched between two layers of buttery crust. With this recipe you will be the talk of the town at the next summer pot-luck!
The best part about baking with berries are the endless possibilities. Make these bars simple by choosing just one berry, or go crazy with a berry medley. Either way your taste buds will LOVE this recipe!
How to make Berry Bars
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooke Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Crust and crumb topping:
- ½ cup granulated sugar of choice
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/8 cup Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour, 170-175 grams
- ¼ teaspoon salt (double if using unsalted butter)
- ½ cup very cold butter (8 Tablespoons or 1 stick of butter)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups fresh berries, chopped - or 10 oz if using frozen (thaw before using, no need to drain)
- Juice of ½ a lemon (optional)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons tapioca or arrowroot
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place parchment paper on the bottom of the 8x8 pan so that it hangs over the side of the pan. (This will make it way easier to remove the bars after cooking.)
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1/2 cup sugar, cassava flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a fork or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture. (SUPER IMPORTANT: Make sure the butter is very cold.) Work with the dough until the pieces are very small. Dough will be crumbly. You can also pulse in a food processor to until you get pea sized crumbs.
- In a separate measuring cup or small bowl, beat the egg and vanilla with a fork. Add to the flour mixture and combine until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Press and pat down half of the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Place in the refrigerator to keep cool while completing the next step.
- In another bowl, stir together 1/3 cup sugar and tapioca or arrowroot.
- Stir in the berries and mix well.
- Spoon the berry mixture evenly over the bottom crust.
- Crumble the remaining crumb mixture over the top of the berry filling layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until top is slightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool and then pop in the refrigerator to completely set up. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Do berry bars need to be refrigerated?
Yep. These should be kept in an air-tight container in the refrigerator to ensure they stay fresh.
Can I use frozen berries in Berry Bars?
Absolutely. Something to keep in mind when baking with frozen berries is that the berries should be thawed before mixing them into batter or baking. This helps with keeping the berries intact and juicy. No need to drain these before baking. You want that moisture!
What are the best berries for baking?
There is no specific berry that is better than another. The perfect berry to bake with is your favorite one! Make this recipe your own by trying out different variations!
How to pick the perfect berries in the grocery store
When purchasing strawberries, look for berries that are plump and red. The green caps should look fresh and bright. Avoid strawberries that look wet or wrinkled.
Blueberries do not continue to ripen after harvesting so avoid berries that look red. The ideal blueberries should be plump, round and blue.