Gluten-Free Cream Puffs Recipe
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Nut-Free
Lightly crisp shells filled with sweetened cream and dusted with powdered sugar; cream puffs are the answer to everything from coffee with friends to a royal wedding. This simple gluten-free, grain-free cream puff recipe takes the mystery out of making this perfect little treat and is sure to be a go-to recipe for everyone who tastes them.
- ½ cup ghee or butter
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Otto’s Naturals – Cassava flour
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine ghee, salt and water over medium heat and bring to a boil. Quickly stir all flour in with a wooden spoon, stirring constantly until a nice dough ball has formed.
- Transfer dough to bowl and cool slightly for about 3-4 minutes. Add 4 eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one and incorporating completely after each one, set aside.
- Prepare egg wash with remaining egg and 1 tablespoon water, by adding to a small bowl and using a fork to combine.
- Transfer the dough (pate a choux) to a large pastry bag fitted with a plain round tip. Pipe 1½” rounds onto prepared baking sheets. Smooth any pointed peaks on the puff with a moistened finger.
- Brush tops with egg wash and bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffs rise and are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Fill with your favorite pastry cream and serve immediately. Store any unfilled puffs for up to a day at room temperature.