Grain-Free Apple Pie Bars
If you are an avid fan of apple pie, then this dessert is right up your alley! These Grain-Free Apple Pie Bars go well with a great cup of coffee to start your day. Want to have them for lunch at school? Why not? Bake some on your next family brunch? Great idea! Our Grain-Free Apple Pie Bars are scrumptious at every bite and best of all, they're made with GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, and NUT-FREE ingredients - perfect for those who crave a healthy, tasty dessert at the end of their meal.
Here’s the recipe that will be the talk of the town!
HOW TO MAKE GRAIN-FREE APPLE PIE BARS
Crust and crumb topping:
- ½ cup granulated sugar of choice
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/8 cup Otto's Naturals - Cassava flour, 170-175 grams
- ¼ teaspoon salt (double if using unsalted butter)
- ½ cup very cold butter (8 Tablespoons or 1 stick of butter)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2.5 cups of apples, chopped in to small pieces
- Juice of ½ a lemon (optional)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons tapioca or arrowroot
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or almond extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place parchment paper on the bottom of the 8x8 pan so that it hangs over the side of the pan. (This will make it way easier to remove the bars after cooking.)
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1/2 cup sugar, cassava flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a fork or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture. (SUPER IMPORTANT: Make sure the butter is very cold.) Work with the dough until the pieces are very small. The dough will be crumbly. You can also pulse in a food processor until you get pea-sized crumbs.
- In a separate measuring cup or small bowl, beat the egg and vanilla with a fork. Add to the flour mixture and combine until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Press and pat down half of the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Place in the refrigerator to keep cool while completing the next step.
- In another bowl, stir together 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon and tapioca or arrowroot.
- Stir in the apples and mix well.
- Spoon the apple mixture evenly over the bottom crust.
- Crumble the remaining crumb mixture over the top of the apple filling layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is slightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool and then pop in the refrigerator to completely set up. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES FOR BAKING?
Choosing the right apples for your baking recipes is actually important. Why? No one wants watery pies or baked pastries when taken out of the oven. Granny Smith apples are available all year round which is why it is considered as one of the best apples to use for baking. They do not sog easily when baked and can retain enough moisture to hold that tarty flavor you need to make your bars delicious! Especially if you were to make these Grain-Free Apple Pie bars on a whim, you can simply go to the supermarket and purchase a few to make your bars. Honey Crisp apples are famously used to make apple pies and other apple-centered pastries. They have a sweet flavor and are firm; which is also the perfect kind for baking.
HOW LONG CAN APPLE PIE BARS LAST?
Your Grain-Free Apple Pie bars can can be stored in the refrigerator for several days!