Grain-Free Potato Pancakes
This is going to be your family's new favorite snack and side dish. Nothing beats crispy potato pancakes that are also simple to make, even on a normal day. Whether eaten plain or paired with some applesauce or sour cream, everyone will love these little German delights!
- 2 pounds starchy potatoes, peeled and grated (RAW, not cooked)
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 2 large eggs
- ¼-½ cup Otto's Naturals - Cassava Flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- neutral-tasting oil for frying (We love avocado!)
- Thoroughly wring out the liquid in the grated potatoes by placing them in a colander and squeezing them with your hands, or by placing them in a clean dish towel and wringing out the liquid.*
- Place the drained grated potatoes in a medium-sized bowl with the grated onion, eggs, ¼ cup Otto's Naturals - Cassava Flour, and salt and use your hands to work it into a tacky mixture. Add up to a ¼ cup more flour if needed. Use mixture immediately, do not let it sit.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and place 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the mixture (depending on size preference) in the hot pan and flatten into pancakes with the back of a spoon. Fry on both sides for 3-5 minutes until the pancakes are golden. Place them on paper towels.
- Serve immediately while hot.
*NOTE: We used a food processor with a grate attachment to grate the potatoes and the onion.
Tips for making the best potato pancakes?
Draining the shredded raw potatoes before mixing in with the other ingredients prevents the mixture from being to be too wet during frying. When the mixture is too wet you'll get a lot of oil splatter and clean-up will be more work than necessary. The mixture will get wetter the longer it sits as well so work as fast as is reasonable and just sprinkle in some extra cassava flour if needed.